Romanesque

...now browsing by tag

 
 

Part one: Enjoy the charm of the French countryside while partaking of the gastronomic delights of Lyon

Thursday, December 27th, 2012

When I decided to write the monastery book on France, one of the cities I didn’t want to miss was Lyon. It is a history-filled city with art, architecture and of course, wonderful gastronomic delights. The Institution where I stayed is situated on the grounds of a verdant 15-acre parkland on a hill dominating Lyon. Conveniently located on the west side of Lyon, the facility is accessible to the Perrache and Part-Dieu high-speed train stations. Once an old estate built in 1680, it is for all intents and purposes a stone’s throw from Lyon.

While on a mission to Gaul in 43 BC, one of Caesar’s lieutenants founded a Roman colony and named it Lugdunum. It became the capital of Roman Gaul and is now the core of present-day Lyon. Its most provocative artifact from the Roman period is the bronze Claudian Table granting citizens the right to become Roman senators. The table is part of the priceless collection of the Musee de la Civilisation Gallo.

A lovely city in the Rhone Alps, Lyon offers a cornucopia of diversions, from its world famous cuisine to its medieval and Renaissance old square. It is organized into nine arrondissements and the best way to explore the city on foot. Fourviere hill, the “praying hill” is defined by the extravagant 19th century Our Lady of Fourviere Basilica, beloved symbol of the city and a revered place of pilgrimage. Mosaics and stained glass opulently fill the interior. Easy access is provided by a funicular railway, la ficelle, which travels to the top of the hill and amazing views of the city below.

The cost of the rooms is quite reasonable with rates starting at about 35E per person/per night including breakfast.

The cost of the rooms is quite reasonable with rates starting at about 35E per person/per night including breakfast. Other meals can also be arranged for an additional charge. Men and women are welcome. Each single, double and dorm rooms have private baths and views of the park. The institute is accessible to the handicapped.

To be continued…

For more information go to: Monasteries of France

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

France – Burgundy: Antiquities, fine wine and acclaimed architecture comprise the highlights of this area of this 10th century Basilique

Tuesday, November 15th, 2011

Palais des ducs de Bourgogne (Dukes of Burgundy's Palace

The Basilique crowns the top of a hill and can be seen from miles away. Its long and turbulent history hasn’t kept it from becoming a resplendent structure of truly imposing dimensions. Founded in the 10th century, it passed under the rule of Cluny in the 11th. UNESCO has recognized the church as a World Heritage Monument. Considered one of the great pilgrimage churches of France, the façade and portals are richly adorned with bas-relief. Beyond the finely sculpted Romanesque interior portals, the columns of the nave are crowned with carved capitals considered masterpieces.

The nearby city of Dijon is Burgundy’s ancient capital as well as its commercial and cultural hub. As the Roman settlement of Divio, it was regularly pillaged and burned. Since the Middle Ages, it has remained untouched. Its old quarter is a network of ancient alleys squeezed between well-restored medieval and Renaissance structures and small squares.

Seat of the flamboyant Dukes of Burgundy, Dijon is centered on the Palais des Ducs. The cobbled courtyards, stone towers and sweeping staircases of the palace house the Musee des beaux Arts, nicknamed “Le Petite Louvre” for its extraordinary wealth of French and Flemish art.

The Jewish community of Dijon dates back to the end of the 12th century when the Jewish quarter consisted of the medieval synagogue and cemetery that was destroyed after the Jews were expelled from France in 1306. A new community was established after the French Revolution. The Musee d’Archeologie preserves an important collection of 12th and 13th century Jewish tombstones. Dedicated in 1879 the synagogue was used as a warehouse during the German occupation. The lovely 19th century edifice was spared from destruction during WWII but the original pews were lost.

From Dijon, the Routes des Grands Crus runs thirty miles in a nearly straight line through the storybook wine villages of the Cote d’Or. Waist-high vines line the edges of the road. The hub of this route is the ancient town of Beaune whose center is a medley of cobbled lanes and alluring squares. Once the region’s main town, its medieval ramparts are still almost intact.

Antiquities, fine wine and acclaimed architecture comprise the highlights of the monastery’s area

Monday, April 5th, 2010

The Basilique crowns the top of a hill and can be seen from miles away. Its long and turbulent history hasn’t kept it from becoming a resplendent structure of truly imposing dimensions. Founded in the 10th century, it passed under the rule of Cluny in the 11th. UNESCO has recognized the church as a World Heritage Monument. Considered one of the great pilgrimage churches of France, the façade and portals are richly adorned with bas-relief. Beyond the finely sculpted Romanesque interior portals, the columns of the nave are crowned with carved capitals considered masterpieces.

The nearby city of Dijon is Burgundy’s ancient capital as well as its commercial and cultural hub. As the Roman settlement of Divio, it was regularly pillaged and burned. Since the Middle Ages, it has remained untouched. Its old quarter is a network of ancient alleys squeezed between well-restored medieval and Renaissance structures and small squares.

Seat of the flamboyant Dukes of Burgundy, Dijon is centered on the Palais des Ducs. The cobbled courtyards, stone towers and sweeping staircases of the palace house the Musee des beaux Arts, nicknamed “Le Petite Louvre” for its extraordinary wealth of French and Flemish art.

The Jewish community of Dijon dates back to the end of the 12th century when the Jewish quarter consisted of the medieval synagogue and cemetery that was destroyed after the Jews were expelled from France in 1306. A new community was established after the French Revolution. The Musee d’Archeologie preserves an important collection of 12th and 13th century Jewish tombstones. Dedicated in 1879 the synagogue was used as a warehouse during the German occupation. The lovely 19th century edifice was spared from destruction during WWII but the original pews were lost.

From Dijon, the Routes des Grands Crus runs thirty miles in a nearly straight line through the storybook wine villages of the Cote d’Or. Waist-high vines line the edges of the road. The hub of this route is the ancient town of Beaune whose center is a medley of cobbled lanes and alluring squares. Once the region’s main town, its medieval ramparts are still almost intact.

For more information visit Monasteriesof france.com